WHY IS IT TIME TO GET SOLAR PANELS?
Solar creates nearly 20% of total electricity within California. There are a few reasons why we have seen a state-wide surge in solar system installations:
- Senate Bill 350 was passed by Governor Brown in October 2015. This bill essentially states half of California needs to be green by 2030.
- the federal government is offering a 30% tax credit on new solar system purchases.
- large utility providers have been given grants by the state of California to help people afford solar. The application is free and simple.
- investing in solar is a strong financial decision that provides substantial savings and increases home equity.
- perhaps most importantly for the homeowner, you can get solar with no money down and use your savings to pay for the system.
- it is one of the best ways to reduce pollution, combat climate change, and increase your home’s energy savings.
HOW DOES SOLAR WORK?
Simply put, solar panels convert energy from the sun to create electricity. Underneath the mono or poly carbon film on the outside, that is usually black or pond blue, you’ll find silicon or copper-indium-gallium-selenide on the inside. When exposed to the sun, the electrons in these elements get excited and generate an electrical current. This energy produced is direct and needs to be converted to alternating by an inverter attached to the main electrical panel, or a battery if you’re “off the grid.”
WHICH SOLAR PANELS ARE THE BEST?
This question is continuously under debate, and if there was one correct answer, it would change every 6 months. Some reputable brands to consider are SolarWorld, LG, Hyundai, Canadian Solar, and SunPower. The main thing to consider with solar is the warranty – 25 years at a minimum, but our contractors offer 40. Make sure they have valid bond insurance policy to back up this claim as well.